These searches collect material (evidence) for the invalidation of patents which may bar the marketing of your product. When necessary, patent documents and technical journals can be tracked down not only in Japan, but in many other countries as well. Fees start at 200,000 yen (about US$2,350), and search periods are generally from 10-30 days.
Invalidation Search is effective if
- You are sued for patent infringement
- You receive a patent infringement warning
- A right-to-use search finds a patent upon which your product might infringe
- Patent watching services find a patent which could be a potential burden for your business
- You plan to sue or send a warning to your competitor (Validity search for your patent)
- You require a bargaining chip for a patent or licensing agreement